"Blues In The Night"

"Blues In The Night"
From the show, Piano Man, onboard "Radiance Of The Seas" Royal Caribbean

Sunday 24 October 2010

My journal

As I try think of something good to reflect on in my journal, I realise I don't really have anything particually useful to write about. I've have been in between job's for a while due to a slight injury I picked up on my last contract. So while being at home, I haven't been doing apart from resting and getting myself in good condition to start all over again. 
However I went to see a physio last week and decided I would reflect upon this in my journal. I tried to base my thinking on the Reid and Moon framework I've read, which looks more in depth that I think I ever have when writing a journal. 


I always get slightly worried about seeing Physio's, because they tend to find problem's which you didn't even realise you had!! I had been putting it off for a while as I had been resting and not feeling any pain in my back, so didn't quite see the point in going anymore. However I had been getting severe headache's and I thought it might be due to tension in my back therefore I thought i'd benefit from seeing the physio now, with the headache's and also a quick check up on my back.


When i got to the Physio I realised I was still a bit nervous of what she might say, but as I spoke with her I seemed to relax as she agreed the headache's could be from my back tension! I was very surprised by some of the thing's she told me and also a little confused at times so I had to really listen to what she was saying and I realised I was constantly thinking of how I could be doing things differently to prevent the same thing happening again in the future. As soon as I got home, I made a little list in my journal of thing's she'd said and the stretches she'd suggested then a few thought's on how I had felt. I left it there with the intention of coming back to write a detailed journal entry on it later, and I was so glad I had wrote down what I was thinking at the time because you kind of forget those entitle feeling's you have and then realise you have completely different one's later.
Reading the list of feeling's I'd wrote made me realise how much I was reflecting on how to make a change for next time. Learning from what I had done right and what I would do differently next time to maybe prevent another injury.


I really tired to use the Reid and Moon framework when reflecting in my journal, but I felt a bit restricted because all I was writing about was a physio appointment. I think when I start rehearsal's again I will continue using these idea's when reflecting on my day and my work. I realised while writing this post, that it doesn't matter that this first time writing a journal entry on the Reid and Moon framework wasn't the best or as good as I had hoped, because it's an ongoing process and I am going to be writing many more which I hope will be much better, and I hope it is something that I can develop effectively to help me in my profession.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like even though you are currently not working, there will still be things to write about and I am sure listing all the exercises and what the physio said will help you. I too am out of work right now but waiting on a Christmas contract to start. I leave on 12th Dec so think I will have more to write about in my journal then as I feel there is not much to say right now either. But I think that you will be able to look back and reflect on how you were feeling now when it comes to the start of your contract and see how your thoughts have changed. Hope your back gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was a really good idea to write about your physio appointment. So much of what we do as performers is keeping ourselves in a healthy condition to work or find work. I've not worked at all since January but I think not working is as much a part of this profession as working is. I've been thinking about it recently and there is so much still to reflect on when we're out of work. For example, recently I've been reflecting on my mental state when I'm not working and seeing how much being out of work effects my mood. Hopefully by being aware of these affects I can have some kind of control or at least feel I have control over myself when I am not working. Just a thought. Sorry to babble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark this comment is so true about "working is as much a part of this profession as working is" I can remember when my very first contract finished I honestly thought I was depressed. Turns out it wasn't depression at all I just felt lost and didn't no which path to take next. If i would have kept a journal at this stage of my life maybe I wouldn't of felt the way I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments guys, and Mark you'll be glad to know that I thought about what you said and tried to focus more on my journal even though I'm not working yet. I totally agree with you, when were not working is just as important as we're prepping ourselves for the next job, or the next audition. There's so many factor's that come into the preparation that I haven't really given must thought to.
    I've been more conscience of what I'm eating and what exactly I'm doing at the gym which I don't necessarily have to do as much when I'm working. So i made sure I wrote it all down in my journal!
    Thanks for making me realise this!!

    ReplyDelete