"Blues In The Night"

"Blues In The Night"
From the show, Piano Man, onboard "Radiance Of The Seas" Royal Caribbean

Tuesday 5 October 2010

My thought's on the Pro's and Con's on Web 2.0

Although I wasn't able to attend the first campus session, I still feel that I was a part of it. The main reason for this is being able to read other people's blog's that were able to attend. This is quite a big deal for me, as I work out of the country most of the year and know I will be relying heavily on reading other people's blogs and chatting to people with different Web 2.0 method's to still feel like I have knowledge being taken from of the campus session's. 
This is obviously one of the big pro's that Web 2.0 offers, being able to connect with people from different part's of the world at any time. Whether it's employer's, college's or even just friend's, you are never "unreachable". 


Sites such as YouTube, and Flickr are such great ways to advertise yourself. It offer's other ways for employer's to see you, and view more than you might get to show them in an audition alone. In previous audition's i've attending they have only asked us to do one particular style of dance, only showing off what you need to and what they require on the day. Quite often I have been later contacted and asked if I can tap dance, or whether I have gymnastic skills, or whether I can sing. Being able to have the ability to send an employer straight to a site that can show them exactly what they want to see in the matter of minute's is unbelievable. I know when I first started, I would of probably said, "sure, I can post a showreel to you"!!! How long would that take?!


However there are certain con's aswel. People contacting you that aren't professionals. People that just want to look and read about you. I have a close friend that had one person that would constantly comment on her photo's, not helpful comments either, all the time. After a while it became apparent that they weren't using the site for the purpose it was set up for. Which can reflect bad on the person trying to promote themselves through no fault of there own.
This same thing can happen also on social networking sites, like Facebook,  with people being able to comment on your photo's, your post's and write on your wall. If an employer was visiting your site and saw or read something they didn't particually like they could discard you because of it. This could then lead to you getting a certain reputation. Everyone know's that a major way to be successful in any career can often be through people talking about you and your reputation. All casting director's talk and know each other either directly or through friends, so if one doesn't like you, your reputation can quickly get ruined. Imagine if this all happened because someone saw something on a social network about you that they didn't like???
Of course this is just a look at the worst thing's that could happen and it's quite frightening, but it is the extreme.


I love being able to communicate with people via the net and especially using my blog. It's a great way for people to read exactly what your thinking and offer you advice, or criticism or just help you learn. I learn better from experience and not from just been told thing's, so to physically write something, and read what other people have wrote on the same subject works well for me. 


I say yes to Web 2.0!!! As long as you're smart about it... Adesola suggested to me that it could be a good idea to keep a personal site and a professional site. At first I wasn't quite sure why this was such a good idea, but now I have looked into it more, I think this is a brillant idea. Then your professional site is more controlled by just you. You create what everyone see's... 


I still feel like I have more to learn on Web 2.0, but I feel that I am working on it everyday and therefore understanding it more each day.

8 comments:

  1. Hi. I think this blog really promotes the positive aspects of web 2.0. The fact that you have been able to feel involved in the whole process even though you aren't physically here is brilliant. On the campus day we all talked about collaboration of ideas leading to improved learning and I think that is exactly what these blogs promote. It's like being in a classroom and throwing ideas around and seeing what happens. Someone picks up on something and runs with and slowly we all progress together. I also really agree with what you were saying about reputation being so important. It's only in the last couple of weeks that I've started to appreciate how your online profile impacts your professional persona so I think I might create a professional Facebook site that I can (as you say) have more control over. Oh and just one more thing, the picture at the top of the page is AMAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa! I think you've done a great job on your Pro's & Con's of Web 2.0. I, also, was not able to attend the campus day and hope that I can write my blog as well as you did! I believe you managed to develop some great ideas yourself and especially liked the idea about having two separate facebook account. Lately, I've noticed my facebook is becoming very confusing and cluttered as it is being mixed with friends from school, friends from college, family, dancers, singers, actors, agents, ect. However, if I made a personal and professional account I would be able to post necessary information for both parties to see.

    And I have to agree with Mark.....that picture is amazing and such a great way to promote yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa, great post. To be honest you seem to have got everything that we discussed at the campus session. It was really just about discussing our ideas in groups and putting together a short presentation. You seem to have gathered all the infomation from other peoples blogs which is great. I agree that there are so many tools available to us to promotoe ourselves on the internet now and the idea of having a personal and professional site seems like it would be beneficial.
    Also I have to aggree about the picture! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi guys,

    Thanks for all your comments!! =) It makes me feel like im heading in the right direction despite not being at the campus day.
    Mark i really like your post on your Pro's and Con's too... it's got points i hadn't even thought of... it's so great to, like you said, bounce idea's off each other and really learn alot of everyone else!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Guys & Melissa
    I think you are thinking really well about WEB 2.0 in terms of quite practical professional practise. But what about the wider picture? Melissa, what do you think the effect of being able to find out so much about someone at the click of a button will have in the future? What implications are there on 'truth', 'validity', 'knowledge'? Do you think the fact this has developed so quickly has an impact on who and how 2.0 is used? Does it require a certain kind of person to really engage with it? What freedoms are there what restrictions?

    I think avatars are really interesting. The whole idea of people who design themselves quite differently from their physical body. We come from a very 'beautiful' world as performers (-see all the comments about your picture). There is a kind of consumerism of image we are all involved with. What do you think?
    Adesola

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Adesola,

    This is one of those times when I actually have no clue until I sit down and think about it for a few hours!! I guess that's the point though, to expand our knowledge and the way we think.

    If i'm honest, I actually find it quite strange how much information you can find on a person online. I mean it's great for your profession, you can be researched and people can see where you have trained, where you have worked, and how you got to where you are today. But I often find it strange some of the other information that can be found. As I said I think it's great on a professional level, but if your just a random person looking at personal information about someone it's a bit weird.

    I have a great appreciation for "Carmit Bachar" from the orginial line up of the PCD, and I have google'd her before and read quite personal things, like where she grew up, and where she trained, where she went to University, and her professional career. I am using this to learn about my profession though whereas non performer's reading that seems quite strange to me.

    It's also important to realise that what your reading my not be true. I feel this is something out of our control on Web 2.0. We will never know how reliable the source is that we're reading about. I think if someone just read's an article and doesn't form there own opinions then you could potentially be doing yourself a lot of damage. Different research method's also need to be explored to check it's validity.

    Image is very important in our profession I feel. People are meant to enjoy looking at us, whether it's an individual or whether it's the image where creating as a group on stage.

    I don't really know why people create avatars. Is it because the don't like certain aspect's and want to improve on them? Or is it a way of exploring there more artistic side? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How's it going with the next section on Reflection? What do you think of what I wrote on my blog about 'Positioning of Self'?

    Have you blogged since this one on WEB 2.0 I couldn't see any others.

    Adesola

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Adesola!

    It's going ok, although I feel I've had a bit of a slow start. I've been writing in my journal alot although I don't feel like I have anything positive to reflect on at the moment, so it kind of end's up a bit random almost...

    I am looking forward to being back in rehearsal's and REALLY trying to write a great journal that I'm really going to benefit from. I've wrote a few journal's whilst being in rehearsal's previously and I've always found them extremely helpful so I'm looking forward to using the Reid and Moon framework and really reflecting on myself in some depth... But as of now I think i've had a pretty poor attempt of my journal... =(

    ReplyDelete